|2 0 0 6.
||[Dec. 29th, 2006|09:17 pm]
Hello. I posted this on that other site, and then realized I should include it here. One of my new years resolutions is to start being creative on the internets again. It may not be here, but I'll be around somewhere soon. Love!!!! |
THE BEST THINGS ABOUT 2006:
- Braedyn. My house. Larissa being home. Movies and big cokes and a tiny christmas tree. Reality Bites. Decorating. Late nights with Wellingtron. Late nights trying to find room for all my clothes. Shitty at life dot com. Braedyn, again.
- The Love and a .45 party at the Longbranch, DJ'ing, DANCING. Jeff Freeman dancing in public for the first time ever, etc.
- Dancing in general. Detective dance party et. al.
- 3 Day Novel contest! I wrote a damn book! Dude!
- Letters and tiny presents and real mail and taping things under shelves.
- Tilly and The Wall times four!
- Late late nights with JFreeze and a six pack.
- The Kicking and Screaming criterion collection DVD.
- Everyone actually dressed up for my birthday party.
- My mom's perfect wedding.
- Addition of Patrick to my life. Plus Mandy and Manfred and a lot of other people.
- Macbook Macbook Macbook.
- Josh being back (even though I don't see him enough, it's still comforting to know he's here).
- Matty's spring visit to Austin. Every second of it.
- College and The Return of Oz.
- Okkervil River at the Carousel and in general.
- The One Kiss Can Lead To Another girl group box set making its way into my life.
- The ladies of the Alliance Abroad Work Travel office.
- Krystal and Sara and adventures in drinking.
- Cory and Logan in town; two-beers Cory!
- Living in breakfast taco central.
- Lots and lots of drawing. Perfecting the tinysized versions of every face I pocket.
- SXSW 2006 at full force.
- ACLFest. Ghostland, Okkervil, Wolf Parade, love love love.
- My Nikon d50. Real pictures. Real love.
- Tres Leches with Cole.
- Perfect periodic lunches with Brad, GEORGE WASHINGTON!
- Scrapbooking with Sarah Grainier.
- Moomin comics released!
- Getting an advanced reader of the most touching and perfect memoir I've ever read (Love Is A Mixtape by Rob Sheffield)
MOVIES I LIKED A LOT IN 2006
(I didn't see nearly as many movies this year as I usually do and a lot of the critically and personally acclaimed I missed, so this list is probably very incomplete)
- An Inconvenient Truth!
- Little Miss Sunshine!
- The Science of Sleep! (mostly because of a plush typewriter and Gael Garcia Bernal's face)
- Mutual Appreciation!
- Flushed Away! (mostly because of slugs)
BEST ALBUMS of 2006:
1. Micah P. Hinson : And The Opera Circuit
Because Micah sounds like an old man. Because he looks like a little boy. Because his feelings are indivisibly both ancient and immature. Because of "Jackeyed" and "Digging A Grave" and especially because of "Drift Off To Sleep". Because when I look back on this year, this is the music that will play in my head.
2. Tilly And The Wall - Bottoms of Barrels
The most effortless and joyous songs I've ever heard, shouted from the mouths of the most beautiful people with beats stomped out and clapped around. The auditory equivalent of cupcakes shoved into mouths, of balloons, of running around a playground, of dance parties, and all other breathless joys.
3. M. Ward : Post-War
Probably the best songwriter of my generation.
4. Shearwater : Palo Santo
I've been following this wonderful band for a long time, and they have changed and evolved so very much, and now they've reached this insane spiritual wonderful mess of an album and I love it. It's organic and petrifying and beautiful.
5. Band of Horses : Everything All The Time
My favorite album to fall asleep to!
6. The Decemberists : The Crane Wife
I really love this album, but the main reason it's this high on this list is simply because of the line "we'll fill our mouths with cinnamon".
7. Belle & Sebastian : The Life Pursuit
I do miss the more sad-sack days of Belle and Sebastian (see Cat Power, below) but this album is fun and it reminds me of springtime and dryer sheets, which is ALMOST as lovely as the churches and bitten mouths their music used to remind me of.
8. Cat Power : The Greatest
In a completely selfish and awful way, I wish Chan Marshall was still really sad. But, that said, this album is still really incredible. Her voice gives me chills and the production is groovy.
9. Tom Waits : Orphans
This would probably be higher if I had bought this album for myself already, but I've been saving it for one of those times (not the month of December) when I actually have an extra $30 to blow on myself. Anyway, I've heard it a lot with other people and it blows my mind and heart apart, as expected from Mr. Waits. "Bawlers" is certainly my favorite disc.
10. The Pipettes : We Are The Pipettes
I think that The Pipettes sound the way Larissa and I would sound if we had a band. Which is pretty great.
- Beck : The Information
"Anything should make you happy, nothing could make you scared."
- Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
"I'm holding out for that teenage feeling."
- Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country
"We'll find a cathedral so that you can convince me I'm pretty."
- Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies
"Oh, watercolours into the ocean"
- Andre Ethier - Secondathallam
"In my arms you fuss like an infant and you wail like a child, you could never be, never be satisfied"
- Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche
"Here in this house in Pittsfield, the ghost of our grandmother works at the sewing machine post."
- Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
"Say, for instance, my girlfriend she loves me all the time."
- Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
"You are what you love, not what loves you back. And I'm in love with illusion, so saw me in half. I'm in love with tricks so pull another rabbit out your hat."
- Nouvelle Vague - Bande A Part
"Let's sink another drink cause it'll give me time to think."
- The Walkmen - A Hundred Miles Off
"Your skeleton splinters my daydreams."
- The Walkmen - Pussy Cats
"Laugh and sing but while we're apart don't give your heart to anyone."
- The Elected - Sun, Sun, Sun
"Sometimes you can't go home, sometimes you're already there."
- The Evens - Get Evens
""Why did you ever allow my bones to become your rungs?"
- Bright Eyes - Noise Floor
"I left my baby for a dream as lovely, for a love that's only in the books I read."